future students
ursuline college
Ursuline College @Ursulinecampus   Excited to announce: Sr. Christine De Vinne, O.S.U., named 17th president of Ursuline College!
Advising FAQ

1. How can I contact an advisor?
You can talk to an advisor by phone, email, drop-in visit or scheduled appointment.

Dorothy McCombs: p 440 684 6103; f 440 684 6128; e dmccombs@ursuline.edu
Pilla Student Learning Center, Office PC 206

Laurel Yuratovac: p 440 449 5354; f 440 684 6128; e lyuratovac@ursuline.edu
Pilla Student Learning Center, Office PC 204

2. When should a student contact an advisor?
  • Class scheduling for each semester
  • To drop or add a class
  • When you are considering taking a class at another college
  • Adding a minor or certificate (great way to fulfill general elective credit hours)
  • Switching majors
  • Problem in class
  • Missing a class
  • Interest in a Graduate Bridge Program
Consider an Advisor as a gateway to the services available to you. If we are unable to help you, we’ll point you in the right direction.

3. What are the add, drop and transient policies?
To add or drop a class, please contact an advisor via phone or email. Advisors will check to make sure that the course you are dropping is not a prerequisite for an upcoming class. If you are adding a class, we will check to make sure that you need the class and/or have the prerequisites to take it.

If you are using financial aid and you drop a class, you must contact Ursuline’s Financial Aid Department by using your Ursuline email account and let them know you plan to return in the next five week session.

Transient Policy - Ursuline students are permitted to take classes at other colleges and transfer those classes back to Ursuline as long as a ‘C’ or better is earned in the course.
  • Classes cannot be Ursuline Studies core requirements (front of degree plan).
  • The cap on community college transfer hours is 64, so if you have reached that, you are not permitted to take further classes at a community college.
  • Ursuline students have a minimum credit hour requirement of 43 credit hours that must be earned at Ursuline and must complete half of their major requirements at Ursuline.
  • Talk to an advisor regarding your ability to take transient courses (we will check on the equivalent course numbers and make sure you are within the credit hour limits).
  • Transient form must be completed and approved by an advisor.
4. What are Alternative Credit Options?
  • Meet with an Advisor to discuss these options
  • CLEPs, Ursuline Test-outs, Life Experience Options (portfolio & workplace training credits)
  • Less expensive than normal classroom courses
  • Read about Alternative Credit Options on Ursuline website
  • Must be completed one semester prior to graduation. If you plan to graduate in May, then all ACO must be completed by December of the previous year.
5. What are the available forms of communication?
  • Email address: even though you may use another email address, please keep your Ursuline.edu address in service. This is the only email address that will give you access to Angel (a learning management system), My Ursuline (for your grades and schedule) and Financial Aid. Your Ursuline email account is the only email address that Financial Aid will use to notify you of your financial aid package.
  • Announcements: This is a section of the Outlook Public Folders that will keep you apprised of special events or opportunities at Ursuline or within the community.
  • Featured Links: This section of the UCAP website contains links to important information for our students such as the American Bar Association (ABA), how to use Angel and our Newsletter. http://www.ursuline.edu/UCAP/links.html
6. Why is a contact sheet required in each class?
You must complete this form the first day of each class you are in. It is important for many reasons, but most of all, we need your contact information to call you if your class has been cancelled or some other emergency arises.

7. When can I double-up on classes (taking two classes concurrently)?
You must have completed at least 3 classes, have a GPA of at least 3.5 and permission from an Advisor

8. What are Graduation requirements?
  • A minimum of 128 credit hours is required for graduation with a BA degree and 129 credit hours for a BSN degree.
  • Graduation audits (which include the application for graduation) are performed twice a year. In-person audits are done in the fall for a May or August graduation and in the spring for a December graduation.
  • Graduation Ceremonies (Baccalaureate Mass & Commencement) take place every May. Most December graduates participate in the following May’s ceremony.
9. When are the modules & schedules available?
  • The course modules are ready 2 weeks prior to the start of a session. They are posted to Angel on the UCAP Course Modules Group page in the Community Groups
  • The online schedule is available about two months before the semester begins. Look at the schedule for the session start and end dates and any days that we may be closed, for example; Easter break, Monday Holidays
10. What are UCAP Office Hours?

  • 8:30 AM – 6:15 PM Monday through Thursday
  • 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM Friday (until 4:30 PM in summer)
    • Advisors are available for scheduled appointments after 5:00 PM  
    • Advising can be done in-person, though email or over the phone  
11. What are Payment Options?
  • Financial Aid: must complete the FAFSA form at www.fafsa.ed.gov each year in the first quarter. Ursuline’s code is 003134.
  • Credit Card: payment is due by the start of each class
  • Check: payment is due by the start of each class
  • Tuition Deferment: must complete deferment form, provide a copy of your company reimbursement policy, and pay $25 fee each semester. Semester tuition payment is due 30 days after the semester ends.
  • Third Party Billing: Provide paperwork from your company indicating Ursuline should bill your company directly for tuition.
  • Pay in person in the UCAP office or at the Student Service Center, or mail in payment, or call UCAP office (440 684 6130) with credit card information.
12. What are Referral Rewards?
  • The #1 way students learn about UCAP
  • Refer a student and earn a $100 gift card for each referral (paid after the student referral completes one class)
  • Help other adults who are interested in obtaining their degree; co-workers, neighbors, family, friends
13. How do I register for classes?
  • Registration occurs once a semester for all three sessions
  • Early registration guarantees you get into the class you need
  • Students can register for classes through My Ursuline, using email, over the phone or fax
  • It’s best to make an appointment with your advisor after the schedule is released and before the registration begins to discuss class options.
  • To register through My Ursuline, your advisor first must grant permission for you to register.
14. When are grades published?
  • Grades are submitted at the end of the session after facilitator evaluations are complete.
  • Grade reports are not produced anymore. You will use My Ursuline to look up your grades.
  • If you can’t access your grades on My Ursuline, call an advisor.
15. Where does a student get their Student I.D. and parking pass?
Stop by the Student Service Center (Mullen Building Room 203) to secure your student I.D. They will also issue you a free parking permit (you will need to know your license plate #).
Student Service Center Hours: Monday - Thursday 8:30 AM – 6:00 PM; Friday 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM; 440 646 8309

16. How do I access the library materials?
Students need to register at the Ralph M. Besse Library in order to be able to check out books or use library materials off campus. You may do this by stopping by the library with your Ursuline ID or by clicking here
Normal Library Hours:
Monday through Thursday. 8:00 AM – 11:00 PM
Friday 8:00 AM – 7:00 PM
Saturday 10:00 AM – 7:00 PM
Sunday 1:00 – 11:00PM
During holiday breaks and the summer sessions, please visit the Library website for hours.

17. Are there scholarships opportunities for UCAP students?
  • Periodically check the Ursuline College Announcement page.
  • These scholarships are also sent out by the UCAP staff and are placed in a binder in the office for students to review.
  • Visit the “College Now Greater Cleveland” website at www.collegenowgc.org or call 216 241 5587 to learn more about adult learner scholarship opportunities.