Ursuline Sisters Mission and Legacy
The Ursuline Sisters of Cleveland: Transforming society through contemplation, justice, and compassion.
The Ursuline Sisters of Cleveland, Ohio, are an autonomous branch of the congregation founded by Saint Angela Merici in Brescia, Italy, in 1535. Like Saint Angela and the French Ursulines who established the Cleveland foundation in 1850, we are committed to the transformation of society by spreading the Gospel message. To this end each of us, by a public profession of the evangelical counsels and a special vow of service in Christian education, makes a permanent gift of herself to Christ and to the Church.
Our community life, marked by mutual love and unity, provides a supportive atmosphere conducive to the holistic growth of each sister, and hence, to the growth and enrichment of the total congregation. Saint Angela's call to an authentic active-contemplative spirituality compels us to ground our lives in Christ, our Source. Such a life centered on the Word of God and the Eucharist is generative, for as our prayer enlivens our ministry, so too does our ministry draw us ever to prayer.
True to Saint Angela's exhortations to be open to the Spirit and dynamically adaptable to society's changing needs, we perceive our educational apostolate as every evolving, yet constant in their corporate witness to Gospel values. We stand for and among the poor and oppressed as a sign of hope and healing in a hurting world. Recognizing and respecting the inherent dignity and worth of each person, we act as God's instruments to reconcile and empower others to be Good News for all God's people.