future students
ursuline college
Ursuline College @Ursulinecampus   100% of May 2017 grads from our second-degree nursing program passed the state licensing exam to practice nursing! bit.ly/2umaamN
Financial Aid | Work Study

The Federal Work-Study Program (FWS) is a campus-based, federally funded employment program that provides paid jobs for students with financial need. The program is designed to help students meet educational expenses. Read the frequently asked questions below for more information.

How do I become eligible for work-study?
The first step to becoming eligible is filling out the FAFSA application. Only students that are citizens or resident aliens can receive Federal Work-Study. Students must demonstrate financial need as calculated by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

Am I required to participate in the Federal Work-Study program if it has been awarded?
No, students are not obligated to participate in the student employment program.

Are Federal Work-Study Jobs on campus or off campus?

Work study positions are available both on and off Campus. If you work on campus you will be working for Ursuline College. There are also positions available off campus, participating in various community service positions.

How many hours am I allowed to work?
Students can not work more than 20 hours per week, during regular academic terms. The 20 hours includes a combination of all positions you hold on campus. During breaks between semesters, students can work up to 40 hours per week, but never more than 40 hours in a week.

How much can I make?
Current pay rates range from $8.10 per hour to $10.00 per hour depending on the position.

How do I find a Federal Work Study position?
Student positions can be found in two places. There is a book in the One-Stop center with all available positions on campus. The positions are also posted on the web. You will need to come to One-Stop and pick up your Federal Work-Study Application and certification. Once you have found a job that you are interested in, you will contact the employer directly to apply. You will bring the certification and application back to One-Stop once your supervisor has completed their portion. In addition, you will also need to complete the necessary payroll forms before you begin working.

How do I get paid?
All employees of the College are required to complete state and federal paperwork on or before the first day of work. This includes the following:

  • Federal Employee Withholding Allowance Certificate W-4.
  • State of Ohio Employee Withholding Exemption Certificate or Employee's Statement of Residency in a Reciprocity State.
  • Immigration and Naturalization Employment Eligibility Verification I-9 Form. The employee will need to present the proper identification in order to complete this form. The most commonly used forms of identification used by students are:
    • Passport
    • Photo ID and original social security card
    • Photo ID and original or certified copy of the birth certificate
Once you have been hired and completed all necessary forms. It is your responsibility to make sure that your time cards are turned in on time. Students are paid on the 15th of every month.

How much can I earn?
Your award letter lists the maximum amount you are allowed to earn in a work-study job. You cannot work over your award amount for a semester or the year. If you do not earn your entire fall amount, it can be carried over to spring term, as long you remain eligible to work. Jobs have variable pay rates.

If you receive a new scholarship or grant, your work-study award may have to be reduced or canceled. You should review carefully any revised award notice sent to you to see if your work-study award amount has changed. You should immediately report any reduction in your work-study award amount to your employer.

Can I change jobs during the year?

You are encouraged to remain in your position for one academic year. As with any job, periods of short employment may raise questions for a future employer. Your work-study job is an opportunity to establish a good work record for your resume, along with a favorable letter of reference. If you are experiencing any difficulties in your work situation, you are encouraged to discuss your concerns with your employer. If you decide to quit your job, you should give your employer at least two weeks' notice of resignation.

Since it is called work-study, does that mean I can study on the job?
No. Federal work-study jobs are not any different from other jobs. You will have a job description and defined tasks to perform. Work-study means you are working to pay for the opportunity to study and obtain an education. It is a real job.

Should I notify the Financial Aid Office if I decide to decline my work-study award?
Yes. Call or email the Office of Financial Aid if you decide not to work so the funds can be given to another eligible student who wants to participate.

Can I work during College Breaks?
It is possible to work during college breaks; however work is not guaranteed. The workload in many departments slows over break periods, thus the number of available jobs can be limited. It is advisable to pursue these opportunities well in advance of the break period. Only current students registered for 3 or more accredited courses for the fall semester or recent graduates are eligible for summer employment.