Counseling and Art Therapy Admission Requirements
Students applying for admission must meet the general requirements for graduate admission
and the following program requirements:
1. A three to five page essay in APA format discussing the following:
- Aptitude for working with people
- Motivation for pursuing a career in counseling and art therapy
- The meaning of art in the applicant’s life
- Areas of artistic strength and areas of possible artistic growth
Please note: This essay is in addition to the general essay on the graduate application form.
2. A portfolio brought to the interview prior to enrollment. Candidates completing prerequisite art courses must submit a partial portfolio for review, with follow-up work submitted after completing the art prerequisites. The portfolio should contain:
- At least 24 works of art representing a variety of media and techniques
- A separate index describing the media, size and date the work was completed
- Digital images, slides, photos, or actual works are all acceptable.
3. Prerequisite coursework
18 semester hours in studio art which must include:
12 semester hours in psychology which must include:
- General Psychology
- Developmental Psychology (such as Human Growth and Development, Lifespan Development, or Child and Adolescent Development, etc.)
- Counseling Theory (or Theories of Personality, or Personality Theory)
- Abnormal Psychology (or Psychopathology)
At least 12 hours of the studio art and at least 9 hours of the psychology must be completed prior to starting the program. The remaining prerequisites must be completed within the first year of the program.
4. Some experience in working with people within a human service context is highly recommended.