Psi Chi, The International Honor Society in Psychology
School of Arts and Sciences | Psychology Psi Chi
The International Honor Society in PsychologyWhat is Psi Chi?
Psi Chi is the International Honor Society in Psychology. It was founded in 1929 at Yale University for the purpose of encouraging and maintaining excellence in scholarship in psychology.
Psi Chi is comprised of a federation of chapters at more than 1000 colleges and universities. Psi Chi is affiliated with the American Psychological Association (APA) and the American Psychological Society (APS).About the Ursuline Chapter
Ursuline College received the 899th Psi Chi charter and inducted its first members, on December 13, 1996. We encourage new ideas (and of course new members!), to continue building a strong, active chapter at Ursuline College.Benefits of Psi Chi Membership
Since membership is based upon merit, being awarded membership is official recognition of one's achievements in psychology. Membership in Psi Chi is good for building a resume, and for graduate school applications. Psi Chi is a springboard for professional growth.How to Join
National Organization's Requirements for Membership are:
- Second semester sophomore standing or later (48 or more semester credits earned)
- Completion of at least 9 semester hours of psychology courses at Ursuline College (Statistics is counted in this total)
- Registration for a major or minor standing in psychology
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 at Ursuline College
- A minimum psychology GPA of 3.30 at Ursuline College (Statistics is included in the calculation of the psychology GPA)
- High standards of personal behavior
- Two thirds affirmative vote of those present at a regular meeting of the chapter
Applications are due by February 28 for spring induction. If you are eligible for membership, please complete a Psi Chi Application which can be found on the here.
A transfer student's eligibility for Psi Chi membership is the same as a student who begins her college career here at Ursuline.
Please contact Dr. Edmonds if you have any questions.